The Petruskirche is a symbol a district of Kiel known as Wik. It was built between 1905 and 1907 as the second Evangelical Garrison church for the members of the then royal navy. Due to its positive effects on the city, the decision was made not to traditionally build the church facing east, but facing north instead. As a result, the high steeple of the Petruskirche now faces into town. The architects also consciously chose to part with Neo-Gothic style elements and combined forms of Romantic, Renaissance and Art-Nouveau instead. Thus, a solid brick structure was created, solely without ornamentation, monumental from the outside and imposing from within. This church is still used today for services and other Christian celebrations, while still providing an impressive location for secular cultural events, including concerts of the Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival.
Weimarer Straße 1